A diet pill that contains a substance that is considered unfit and is therefore banned for human consumption has ended the life of a bright young woman.
Eloise Parry, 21, lived in Shrewsbury, England. She's a lively young girl who, like many, wanted to drop a few pounds off. Thus, she decided to buy some diet pills online. They turned out to be her killing drugs.
In an inquest this week, it was revealed that these pills contained DNP (Dinitrophenol), which is a kind of pesticide that should have never been ingested by humans. It could dramatically increase the metabolism to the point that the internal organs are burned.
To make matters worse, she didn't only take DNP but she overdosed with the pill, taking 8, increasing the toxicity of the dose to more than 5 times.
When she was already feeling uneasy with the effects of the drug, she drove herself to the emergency. However, it was later discovered that there's no known antidote to the poison. Before she died, her fever shoot up so high that she was burning internally to death.
According to her mother, Fiona, her daughter didn't intend to kill herself by taking so many pills. However, she believed that Eloise didn't have a clear understanding how dangerous these types of pills can be.
Interestingly, this isn't the only time that somebody died of toxic pills containing DNP. More than 4 years ago, a woman from Croydon names Selena Wolrond was dead when she was found in an ice bath. Most probably, she was feeling the side effects of the drugs she purchased overseas and decided to bring her temperature down by submerging in freezing waters. In 2013, a medical student of Leeds University also died due to the DNP slimming pills.
Aside from a very high fever, a person who has ingested DNP may experience irregular heartbeat, dehydration, dizziness, and excessive sweating.